Monday, June 13, 2011

No Es Para El Cuerpo Ni Para El Vientre

Mi Familia,

This week was great. And sounds like it was great for you guys too! I love hearing how everyone is doing. I am glad Lauren is feeling well, and it seems like everything is going good.

This week was a great one. We are teaching a lot of people and having a lot of success. We have many investigators with baptismal dates, and we are praying and working that they continue preparing for their baptisms.

This week was really rewarding. The three boys that we baptized about a month ago got the priesthood last week and this Sunday they passed/blessed the sacrament. This week we are going to have a lesson with them at the church while they get interviewed for temple recommends. They will do baptisms for the dead on Thursday. I am so excited for them.

This week’s bad news is that I will never serve in the mountains with the indigenous people here. No white people are allowed in their pueblos. But the good news is I learned a little bit of "Tzotzil", their language. But right now all I can remember is "ok" which means turtle and "mai yu tak in" which means I don't have any money.

We are teaching a woman named Rosi and her son Pepe. Pepe believes in the "Santa Muerte" and his mom really doesn't like it. We have been teaching them, and to be honest, I didn’t have much faith that he would change. We invited them to another wards baptism on Saturday. They came and loved it. Rosi talks about how she wants to be a good example for him and she hopes she follows. After the baptism he told her he wants to change and has talked to his mom about going to an LDS school in Mexico City someday. Rosi is going through a lot of hard things but we were able to talk to her. And she is doing better. I told her how she reminded me of my own mom in the way she always led by example. Rosi came to church Sunday but Pepe had to work. He is looking for a new job so he can come to church and be baptized, he is 15.

Things are really good here, I am so happy. The happiest I have ever been in the mission, and my life. I love serving the Lord. I can’t believe how fast time is going. I hope it slows down but it just keeps speeding up, and I think it is going to continue like that.

Well someone has been smoking in this "internet cafe" for almost the whole time and I am off to teach a lesson about the word of wisdom hahaha. Really. But I love you all so much and miss you!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: