Monday, June 27, 2011

Preparar Tus Alimentos Con Sencillez de Corazón

Mi Familia,

This week was a great one. Busy, but great!

This week we got a new Zone Leader, Elder Torres. For all of his mission he has been in the mountains speaking Tzotzil. We went on divisions with him and he taught me some of the language. It was sweet and he is a really great guy.

I love Chiapas!


We had another baptism this Saturday. His name is Omar. He is friends with a member, and that is how he got to know the church. He was so ready to get baptized and wanted to change so much. We only taught him 3 times and then he got baptized. He only had a problem with the word of wisdom, with coffee. When we told him about the word of wisdom, he told us he would stop drinking it. And he did! It reminded me of Doctrine and Covenants 4 when it says "the field is white already to harvest." With a lot of the people we teach you can tell they were prepared before by the Lord.

Elder Stevenson and Elder Tapia with Omar at baptism


This week we found a lot of new people that we are going to teach. I am really excited to get to work with them. Two of them are a brother and sister from Colorado and the girl doesn't speak Spanish. I am going to be teaching most of those lessons!

Also this week some of our investigators made us dinner. They don't have very much money but they made us carne asada and prepared everything so nice for us. They don’t have electricity and we usually read by candlelight at their house. But when we went to eat they hung up flashlights from the ceiling and cleaned the house and invited family over. It was so nice. Their boy Roque cried when his mom told him that we would leave some day, he is 11. I feel like he is one of the people I needed to find when I was here, and we have a special bond. I talked with their great aunt who was there. She told me that aliens came and taught the ancient people of America, "how else would they know so much about space?!" She went on and on. I showed her a picture of Jesus in the Americas and explained what we believe and gave her a Book of Mormon. All in all it was a great time.

View of Tuxtla Gutierrez from Elder Stevenson's area


I am so happy to be here! The time is going by faster and faster, and I am enjoying it here more day by day. The work is so amazing. Even though I miss everyone at home I would rather be here right now. I love it. I know this church is true and that we have a prophet today, Thomas S. Monson. I know that we have the authority through him.

I love you all and miss you!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson


Flooded streets during rain in Tuxtla Gutierrez

No comments: