Monday, September 19, 2011

El Que Persevere Hasta el Fin, éste Será Salvo

Mi Familia,

Hello! This week was very interesting. There was a conference for all of the Zone Leaders, District Leaders, and Trainers. Elder Nay went and I was with a new Elder from Monday evening to Thursday morning. It was really interesting to work with a new missionary. He is from Mexico so he could speak well but he didn't know a lot of things and it was fun to be able to teach him about the mission. I learned a lot! Then on Friday and Saturday we had exchanges and I was with one of my zone leaders in his area. I barely worked with in the ward this week so I am looking forward to get back to work here in La Salle.

When I was with the new missionary, Elder Perez, we worked in his area one day and our area the other. Both days our last contacts were families that wanted to hear us. It made me think a lot about what would have happened if we would have gone to an appointment early or stopped to take a break. I know it was a blessing. Christ was the perfect example of enduring to the end, because what He did in the last few days of His life gave us the opportunity to live again with Him and our Heavenly Father. What would have happened if he hadn't endured to the very end?

With Elder Torres, my zone leader, we found an excommunicated member that wants to come back to church. He had already talked to the church leaders and has permission to go back to church. He has three daughters that are not members and they are going to start teaching them. Elder Torres is the one that speaks Tzotzil. He contacted some kids in Tzotzil and it reminded me of my first days in the mission when I couldn't understand anything. It is so weird because Spanish is so natural now that sometimes I can't remember if I heard something in English or Spanish - for example, a church talk or quote. I think it is because I just remember what it means and I know how to say it in both languages, but it is super hard for me to speak english now. On wednesday when I was with Elder Perez in a combi some man started talking to me in English. The man made fun of me because I didn't speak very well and kept saying, "come on!" when I messed up or couldn't say a word. He actually spoke a lot worse than me but I didn't tell him that.

Things are good here. We are working hard. I am excited for this week. We are trying really hard to lift the area up and start having some baptisms. Sometimes it is hard to feel successful when you don't see the baptisms coming, but I know that is not how success is measured on the mission. Plus we will be having some soon. I know that it is all happening for a reason.

I know this church is true with all of my heart. I have no doubt that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know that Joseph Smith translated it by the power of God. I am so happy to be able to be here and have the chance to share that with other people. I know that if we try our hardest, we can be perfected through the atoning sacrifice of our Savior Jesus Christ, and live with Him again. I know He lives and loves us.

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: