Monday, April 25, 2011

No Está Aquí, Porque Ha Resucitado

Mi Familia,

This week was another fast one! And we worked a lot which was great.

Hernan accepted a Baptismal date for the May 7th! I am so excited for him. We just have a little more to teach him. A little about Hernan: I don't know what I have already said. He is probably about 60 years old and lives with his wife and 2 grandchildren. He is so humble and so thankful for everything he has. He has the large print scriptures, which I think are even bigger in Spanish. Hernan has diabetes and he got his 3 small toes removed because of some problem as a result of his diabetes. He can walk though and is always preaching the gospel to his neighbors. He works in construction. He helped build the temple here and two chapels: the one we meet in, and our stake center. He told Elder Ballard and me that it was God trying to get him to the truth. The first time he came to church his car didn't work and he prayed and asked Heavenly Father to make the car work if God wanted him to go. It worked, and he came. He is so ready and I love him so much. His wife is opening up to us more and is usually sitting around the corner listening when we come over. At first she would always avoid us. Her grandsons are so cool, and always give us high fives. They all came to the stake center yesterday for the special Easter Broadcast! I hope they will be more open to church now!

So the special event yesterday for Easter was a broadcast of "The Savior of the World" to the Stake Center. As I understand it was just for Mexico. They asked every member to bring nonmember friends and we had stations at the entrances handing out reference cards and pens to every member and stacks of pamphlets, pass along cards, Book of Mormons, and The Living Christ, and tons of other stuff to take. We had an amazing turnout and the presentation was phenomenal. They had a Box to put the references in so hopefully we get a lot! A member of the Area 70 was there and he gave me a hug - haha. It was an amazing missionary experience unlike anything I have ever seen!

We have 2 other boys with Baptismal dates. They are awesome. Their parents are members and their older sister too, but they have been inactive for 12 years. I am under the impression that they were offended so we are working on that. The oldest brother was sleeping during the lesson but he is great, and will get baptized too. His name is Nefi, or Nephi. Their baptismal date is for the 14th of May.

For Easter yesterday I spoke in Sacrament Meeting! I was not too nervous, but a little. It went well! I talked about Missionary work, imagine that. We are trying to get the ward more excited about Missionary work. Elder Ward, one of the other Elders in the ward also spoke about Missionary work, and then our Bishop spoke about Christ, and missionary work, too! It went great.

We worked this week and it was great. I love it and really everything is just going so well, and I am really happy.

I hope you all had a Happy Easter! Sounds so fun to spend time with the Grandparents and family! I don't know what’s going to happen on Mother's day, but I will let you know as soon as I do. Let me know about the stake and the Black car as well! It is so great that Tanner is so motivated. I know he is going to be successful with whatever he puts his mind to! I miss him a lot.

One quick story: The other 2 elders in the ward stopped by one of our old investigators house. The oldest daughter came out and told them, “Your friends already stopped by the other day! One of them was... Benson (me) and the other... Ah what was his name... Alber!” (Elder Ballard) Yeah, we already talked to them. It gave me a good laugh.

I haven't gotten my package yet (or any letters), but I think I will in a conference in May. It is for the entire mission. I don't know if I am supposed to know but a member of the Quorum of the 12 is coming to speak to us. I am so excited! I have heard whisperings that the mission is going to get split, but who knows. We will see!

I know this church is true! I know that the Book of Mormon is true and has the fullness of the gospel. We live in such a hard time but have so much to be happy about. The purpose of this life is to be happy, and nothing has brought more happiness to my life then this gospel. I know it is true!

I love you and miss you all! Until next week!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: