Monday, May 23, 2011

Aunque Esté Muerto, Vivirá

Mi Familia,

Sounds like everyone is doing well! I love thinking about Philmont and the good times I had there. That was almost 2 years ago! It is crazy how fast time goes. Congrats to Tanner and Natalie with band! I am so glad to hear all is going well. This week was a great one for me too.

Elder Cook came Monday for an all mission conference. It was absolutely amazing. Elder Hoyos from the 70 and his wife also came. When Elder Cook first arrived we all shook his hand and his wife's. I tried to button up my suit coat while I was waiting in line but I couldn't do it in time because I was so nervous and shaky. When I shook his hand I didn't even say anything, I just looked at him. Then he said, "Elder Stevenson, where are you from?"  I said "San Diego, California." Then I shook his wife's hand, and sat back down. It was so funny. It was a great first experience with an apostle of the Lord.

Elder Cook talked to us about Preach My Gospel, and how important it is. He said he helped write it, even though he felt they really just received it from heaven. He told us also that something we don't teach very well is about Joseph Smith. We do well with the story and all, but an important point that we miss is that he was preordained to be the prophet before he was born, and preordained to restore the church of Jesus Christ. That really impacted me, and I know it is the truth! I am going to teach that better. At the end he gave us an Apostolic Blessing. He told us that he knows that we have loved ones at home who are struggling, with jobs, health, and everything! He promised us that they would be blessed for our service. The spirit was so strong and I was sobbing like a baby. I know he is an apostle of the Lord.

Tuesday was p-day, and we had permission to write home on Monday. But anyways our zone went to the zoo! It was fun. There were so many animals and cool things to see. There were actually about the same amount animals outside of cages just walking around as there were inside. But none of that stopped all of the other guests from staring at us missionaries more than anything else. I took a lot of pictures, but left my camera in the apartment just now. I will send more pictures soon.

Elder Ballard and I went to a new doctor this week, I think he's our 5th or something. This guy seemed good though. He is taking new medication and I think he will be getting better soon. But we have transfers this upcoming Monday and it is pretty unlikely we will stay together. I am sad about that because he is such a good companion! I will let you know what happens next week.

We haven't had the opportunity to work much this week but I am still studying hard and trying my best to use my time effectively. Something that Presidente Velasco told me in an interview to do is to study and work on one Christ-like Attribute from chapter 6 in Preach My Gospel every month. It has been amazing. I am working on hope right now and I have learned so much about it. It is really what brings joy in this life and eternal life in the life to come.

One cool experience: We were going to a doctor’s appointment for Elder Ballard in a taxi and we just started talking to the taxi driver. He really warmed up to us. Then about half way there someone called and told him his aunt had died. I felt so bad for him. He stopped talking and just looked so sad. We tried to console him. We were able to give him the Plan of Salvation pamphlet and I bore my testimony that it was true and that he could see his aunt again. It was such an amazing experience. He seemed grateful and I hope we helped him.

I love you and miss you! Thanks for all of your support and prayers!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: