Monday, May 30, 2011

Hagamos Con Buen Ánimo Cuanta Cosa Esté a Nuestro Alcance

Mi Familia,

Thanks for all of the letters! It was so fun to read about everything that is going on.

Congrats to Natalie with her clogging! That is so exciting that she got 1st at nationals. I am so proud. Congrats to Alicia and her scholarship! That is so exciting that she is getting so much money. Prom looks like it was so fun! Congrats to Nick for his mission call, too! I love thinking about the people I know on missions and just know that we are working together for the same cause. Nick will be here soon! And congrats Mom and Dad for 24 years of marriage! That's a great streak, keep it up. And also for getting to work in the temple! That is something I want to do when I grow up.

Transfers came late! They usually come Saturday but they came late last night. Elder Ballard is going to the other side of Tuxtla. I imagine it is because he still needs to see a doctor; he has been in Tuxtla his whole mission. I am staying here and my new companion is Elder Tapia. He has about a year and is coming from the mission offices being the secretary of the mission. He took us to immigration and stuff so I know him and he is a really good missionary! He is a native, I think from Mexico City, but I can't remember for sure. I am sad Elder Ballard is leaving but am excited for Elder Tapia to come and to get to work.

This week went really well. We got to work a lot, well more than usual. It started raining this week, exciting! Still hot though.

About a month ago a man stopped us in the street and asked where the closest chapel was. We told him (Ángel) and he came with his wife, Jazmin and their baby. We just found their house and visited them on Saturday. It went so good. I felt strongly that we needed to invite them to be baptized. You will not believe all of the distractions that happened once I decided we needed to do it. First, the laundry machine pipe started spraying everywhere. They fixed it, and we were teaching. Then the baby was really fussy so they put him to bed. Then he started crying so the mom left and then the phone rang and Elder Ballard left, because we thought it was the transfers coming in. It was just me and Ángel - I felt prompted to ask him if he had any doubts or something, I don't even remember what I said. He told me he felt like a good person but just wanted to be better. I started teaching him about the Doctrine of Christ. Elder Ballard and Jazmin came back. Then it started raining, and we were out by the balcony, getting all wet. We moved away from the opening and kept teaching. Then the lights went out. I couldn't believe everything that was going on. I felt like it was the adversary trying to stop us. The lights went back on, and the baby started crying about a minute later. I couldn't believe it. It was like a movie. Jazmin brought the baby in and we finished teaching, and invited them to be baptized. They accepted a date for the 18th of June. It was such a crazy experience, they are special people and I know the Lord will help them prepare to be baptized no matter what happens!

I am so happy. I am learning so much. I sometimes forget how I used to be before the mission, or that I wasn't a missionary about 5 months ago. But as I look back I can see that I have grown so much. I have learned so much, more than I can explain. I feel like I am growing up, in the gospel. My testimony has grown so much. I know that Christ lives and that He loves us. I know this is his church.

I love you and miss you!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: