Monday, July 18, 2011

Yo sé que vive mi Señor

Mi Familia,

This week was really good! I learned a lot.

Things are good with Elder Nay. He is a really good companion; he really helps me want to be a better missionary. We are working hard here!

This week we were going to have the baptism of Susi, the sister of Roque, but in the morning she called us and told us she got sick. I wasn't really sad, and realized it is because she is still going to get baptized eventually! I care about her and realized it is not about the numbers, not that I ever thought that. We decided that we are going to teach her everything over again, and she is going to get baptized on the 30th of this month. We taught her everything but a long time ago, we are just going to review it and make sure she is really ready.

We started teaching a contact that Elder Tapia and I had. The first lesson she told us she knew it was true. Sometimes I can't believe how sensitive people are to the spirit, and I think about what I would be thinking if I was in their place. We invited her to be baptized but she said she couldn't because her parents wouldn't let her, they are Catholics. I was thinking about it later and got an overwhelming feeling that it was all going to be alright. I am not sure if I will ever see her baptism, but I felt and know that she has accepted this message and will have another opportunity to get baptized.

Another investigator, Itzelt, is doing so good. I have had members ask me if she is a member already because she knows so much and dresses like a member, too. She told Elder Tapia and I that she wanted a Hymn Book because she loves the songs, so we bought one for her and wrote notes in the back. I gave it to her on Saturday and she was so excited and touched. She brought it to church and everything. She is going to be baptized this Saturday.

Things are so good here. I am loving the people more and more. I had a few days where I was thinking about family and friends a lot, but I have been praying for help. I realized that the antidote is love for the people. I started focusing on how much I love my investigators and all the people I have taught and I stopped missing home so much. I feel really happy today. I love being here and teaching these people. They are so amazing to me and I have learned so much from them.

Yesterday we had a stake priesthood meeting. We had almost 200 people there, which is a great turnout. There was a special musical number by some of the young men in the stake, including Nefi, one of the 3 boys Elder Ballard and I baptized. They sang my favorite Hymn, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." It made me cry so much. I had just found out a few days before that Nefi talked to his mom and is planning to leave on his mission in December 2012, right before I go home. Jared will leave about 2 and a half years after that, and Alejandro, 2 years after Jared. It is amazing to see some of the fruit of what I have done, with the help of the Lord.

I love you all, have a great week!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: