Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A La Región Del Sur

Mi Familia,

This week was a great one!! I love my new area. Ciudad Hidalgo is the most southern area in Mexico. I see Guatemala every day. It is on the other side of a river that you can walk across (not as a missionary of course). It is so beautiful here. The branch is great and the building is beautiful, and we don't share it with anyone, That is something I have never had in my life. My companion Elder Cubillos is great. He goes home December 29th so I am learning a lot from him and what he has experienced, I respect him a lot. He reminds me of Erik Porter soo much, so we get along really good, and it is funny because I know how Erik will be in the mission. It is very hot and that has been the hardest part of the change, a lot hotter than Tuxtla. It also rained on Friday super hard and the whole city floods. We walked in water up to my shin. We heard it was a hurricane that passed but I am not sure to be honest. The people here are great and it is a small town. Everyone knows each other. We do have other parts out of the city but I have only gone to one that’s called La Libertad. It is so much greener than Tuxtla which surprised me. The trip here was great and beautiful.

More about my area, instead of taxi or combi, there are tricycles that people drive around to take you to your destination. It is like Nacho Libre's, but it is just a bike, and there is a bench where the people sit. I will send you a picture so you can have a clearer picture. There are literally a few thousand in this little city. A member drove us on Saturday and it is super fun. I also rode one of our investigator's. In the last 2 years I am the second missionary from the USA here in Ciudad Hidalgo. The other is the missionary who just left, he got sick, and the last one 2 years ago also got sick here. I haven't felt sick here yet but we will see what happens. But its funny because in Tuxtla they are somewhat used to seeing white people and even more used to seeing white Elders, but the people here aren't. They mostly just stare.

We have a lot of great investigators too. We are teaching a woman named Teodora and her son Misael. Teodora paid her tithing on Sunday and Misael goes to seminary every day. We taught the dad yesterday but he works everyday but Sunday so it makes it hard to teach him.

The people are almost all from Central America. It is so cool to meet people from other places. A lot are from El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. They are great people and I love them. They also are having an open house for a temple in Guatemala, and I heard from a few members that is about an hour and a half away. I am so happy because it will be a lot closer than Tuxtla, about 7 hours in bus. The house is pretty and very big, we use about a third of it.

The culture here is much different from Tuxtla, I am already learning new words that aren't said in Tuxtla that they say here, and words that are said in Tuxtla that are not used here. Why is Spanish like that? It makes me wonder how weird I will probably sound to the people in San Diego. All of the Mexican Elders say they speak really weirdly here. Funny.

I am so happy. I love being here and being a missionary. I know this is Christ's true church and he leads it today. It is the same here as it is in all of the world.

I love you and miss you all!

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: