Monday, November 7, 2011

Fortalece Tus Estacas, y Extiende Tus Linderos

Mi Familia,

This week was really good. I am doing great here. On Tuesday and Wednesday a lot of people went to the cemetery to leave flowers and clean off the graves. It is tradition here. I went on exchanges and stayed in an apartment of Elders that live there close. There was so much traffic because they close off one of the busiest streets to sell flowers and other stuff. On Wednesday when a bunch of people go, we contacted and talked to people about the Plan of Salvation. They were very interested and it was a great experience. I also got some skull head candies. I took a picture but the computer didn't recognize my memory today, oh well.

This week Noé got baptized. He is the one that participated in the talent show a few weeks back. He was so happy, and his girlfriend and mom went to the baptism. We are going to start teaching his girlfriend and see if his mom wants to listen to us too. His whole family hides when we come over, but it is normal. The day we met him was a Sunday. We went to pass by the house of a few investigators to bring them to church. No one came and I felt pretty sad. We were in the combi and then when we got to the church Noé got off and asked if we were going to the chapel. The sister missionaries had met him and invited him to church. It made me so happy. I felt like the Lord blessed me for my hard work, even though it wasn't with the people I was working with.

The ward is growing more and more. The members tell us all of the time that they can't believe how hard we are working. I know I shouldn't brag but it makes me feel happy, and that I am actually making a difference. The members have been working with us more and have given us more referrals. The work is going great. This week they called a teacher to teach Gospel Principles. It is one of the biggest classes. It makes me really happy!

Emma is an investigator that I taught my first week of the mission, back in the middle of march. She hasn't been able to get baptized because she is not married. Her kids got baptized almost a year ago. FINALLY she is going to get married the 18th of this month. I am so happy. It is the saturday after changes so we will have to see if I stay more time. It is unlikely but I am not going to rule it out. She is so great. She has had a lot of trials but has such a strong testimony. We are going to work a lot with her husband. He doesn't see the church as something very important.

An older couple, or adult couple rather, got sealed this week. I don't know why but they love me. I don't know them super well. But anyways we were at the church for Noé's interview, and the reception was going on. It hadn't even started but they invited me in a little room to take pictures with them. It made me so happy. They are going to live across the street from us.

I got a Book of Mormon in Tzotzil this week. It isn't complete but it has a lot of chapters nonetheless. I have read a little and it is so sweet. We have the Book of Mormon in so many languages, but still have a long way to go. Here in Chiapas there are 5 main dialects and Tzotzil is the only one with a Book of Mormon, and it isn't complete. We have a long way to go!

We set a baptismal date for the 26th with the mom and daughter of the family Caballero Perez this week (the mom who was crying). The rest weren't home, but I think that they will also get baptized. They are already so much happier. I love to see the gospel help people.

Thanksgiving doesn't really exist here. So we are already seeing the Christmas decorations going up. It is the kind of thing I always wanted as a kid.

Things are good here. I am so happy. The time is going by so fast. Too fast. But I have learned so much. I know the Savior lives and loves us. He made it possible to return and live with our Heavenly Father again, we just have to do our part.

I love you and miss you all.

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: