Monday, January 9, 2012

Acuérdate Del Día Del Reposo Para Santificarlo

Mi Familia,

This week was really good! It is hard to believe that I have been away from home for a year. It has been good and I know that this year will be awesome too.

Last Sunday one of our investigators, Misael (14), almost drowned in the ocean! (Maybe that's what he gets for going to the beach on Sunday). The whole town knows about it, and has been talking about it. He almost died from what I understand, the current pulled him out super far and he doesn't know how to swim very well. A lifeguard saved him and he has recovered nicely. Luckily, it has opened up the heart of his father who wanted him to wait until he was 18 to make the decision. After he said that he can when he wants and he and his mom accepted a baptismal date for this Sunday in our stake conference. They are so great and I am so excited for them. They have been ready for a while but I know the Lord did this so that could realize that it is important that they get baptized now! I know that he works in mysterious ways to help his children.

Marlene went to church with us and she liked it. When we were about to walk in she told us she was nervous and didn't want to go in. But she did and a sister sat next to her and helped her with the Hymns and sacrament. Everyone said hi to her and the members helped her go to her classes. She really liked it and is reading her Book of Mormon. It is so amazing to me how fast we can go into a house, teach someone, and they are already reading and learning, and getting baptized! Marlene didn't know how to pray and had never read the scriptures and now she is doing both. I think it is really what makes me happy on the mission, seeing people spiritually progressing.

We have another investigator, Jesica that is great. She has gone to church a few times and she loves it. She is looking for a job because this week she told us that she has to break the law of chastity to feed her little girl that is 2 years old Zoé. It makes me so sad but she really wants to change, and knows she can. We are going to be searching so she can get baptized.

I tried coconut water here and it was really weird! It is kind of sweet, but not like soda. But I think it is cooler that you have to cut it open with a machete. A sister in the ward also said that she is going to give us iguana sometime in these next couple weeks (in tamales). I think that beats out horse tacos as the weirdest food on the mission.

I am happy here! I know this is the Lord's work. I know that He is actively involved in all aspects of our lives and in what the church is doing. He leads this church, and missionary work. I know he lives and loves us.
I love you and miss you all, have a great week!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: