Monday, April 23, 2012

Dios Ha Creado Todas Las Cosas


Mi Familia,

Mercado en el centro de la ciudad


This week was one of the best in the mission! On friday we went to Tuxtla Gutierrez for the mission conference with Elder Bednar. I couldn't sleep at night - it was worse than Christmas Eve for a kid. Saturday was the conference, and I got to see a lot of Elders that I haven't seen for so long! Then Elder Bednar came and I learned so much! He shook everyone's hand. I tried to make good eye contact and I felt like he could see my soul. He is a little shorter than me. His wife asked me how I was doing and there were a few 70's there, including Elder Johnson.

Tuxtla Gutierrez Temple


First Sister Bednar spoke. She made everyone cry. She talked about her sons, and how all of them (3) had their birthdays this week. She said that we reminded her of her sons. She also said she knew that we were the missionaries that our mothers wanted us to be. She said that if she could she would call all of our moms to talk to them (haha). Then she bore testimony that her husband is an apostle. It was very powerful.

Elder Stevenson and Elder Bernal


Then Elder Bednar talked to us. We had read talks and we discussed them with him. He asked us questions and we could ask him questions too. I loved what he said. We talked mainly about how we need to teach investigators how to fish, and not give them fish. We need to help them search their own answers so that when we leave they will know what they need to do and already have a relationship with God.

Tortuga


He also talked about acting, and not being acted upon. He said that sometimes we ask for God to act upon us, and we don't ask for help to act, or how to act. He talked about Joseph Smith and how he asked what church he should join (action) and also how Nephi asked for power to break the bands when his brothers tied him up. He talked a lot about how in the church and with investigators we play "what am I thinking in my head?" and we don't ask for the opinions of others. When we ask questions with right and wrong answers, we make the learner an object that is acted upon. And that works against their agency.

:P


Also almost the whole conference though they talked about teaching our children. It was really surprising to me, because general conference was based on that too. I could share a bunch more but don't have time. But Elder Bednar was really funny and great. He said that we are a great mission. He gave us an Apostolic Blessing too. He blessed us to be successful according to our obedience and gave powerful testimony of Jesus Christ. I will never forget the experience!

Saida's baptism


We also had a great baptism on Sunday. Saida (12) got baptized. She was excited and had a ton of family members come from Guatemala (like 15). They traveled more than an hour to come. It went really smoothly and a lot of people came. The room was packed. And the youth prepared a special musical number for her. It was great because her grandmother Carolina was a little worried because Saida is young. We asked a young woman to speak in the baptism about the holy ghost and after the baptism (they invited us over to eat), she asked about the youth and how old she was etc. I could see that she felt more confident in her granddaughters choice. She also said she wants Saida to go on a mission!

With part of Saida's family after the baptism


I am so happy. I love this work and know it is true. I love you and miss you all!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson


No comments: