Monday, June 18, 2012

Congréguense A Una Todas Las Naciones, Y Júntense Todos Los Pueblos


Mi Familia,

This week was a great one. I am loving it here in San Cristóbal. The work is going well. My companion is actually Elder Ah Mu, and he is from Missouri. He is Lauren's age and he has helped me feel comfortable here. Being a zone leader is weird but I have felt that the Lord has helped me a lot. I am getting used to the change here.

San Cristóbal is so awesome. It has kind of a Disneyland vibe. There are people from all over the world here, lots of shops, smells, and things to see. I have met people from Ecuador, Venezuela, Argentina, England, Denmark, and the USA, and seen people from many other countries. There are also many hippies. It is so different from anywhere else. There are also a ton of indigenous people. I don't know if you have read the article about the Tzotzil District here (the one that Grandma sent me) but that is close by. Right now we are working with the Utt couple (the one it quotes in the article) to try to get the work started with the Tzeltal people. It is another mayan people (aka Lamanites). We go every thursday to Oxchuc, or Oxchujk' as it is written in Tzeltal. We have investigators there and are trying to get the work going there. It is so cool because we are fulfilling very specific prophesies from the Book of Mormon. These people are very literal descendants of Lehi and it is so special to start the work here.

We are especially excited for a man named Manuel, who was basically what we know as the mayor of Oxchuc. He is interested in the gospel but has a lot of problems with his family, many of which are members. He is very old and sick too so we are trying to help him to get baptized soon. His wife passed away a few months ago (she was a member). She died with her temple recommend in her hand because she wanted to be sealed to her husband. We gave him a blessing on Thursday because he is very sick. But if he joins the church it will help Oxchuc a lot, because all of the people there respect Manuel a lot. I am learning a little of Tzeltal right now too. It has all been a really cool experience.

This place looks more like Europe than Mexico. It is probably the most beautiful place I have ever been to. I love it here. There are three wards here and a few in other cities nearby. San Cristóbal is very colonial. There is a lot to see, buy, and eat! I am trying to get used to the cold weather. We have hot water in the house and a microwave. I think the Lord is preparing me to go home (haha). But I haven't been thinking about that too much. But right now I would definitely prefer that you guys come here instead of going on a cruise. I will try to send some pictures next week. If you can, you should look up pictures on internet, I am sure there are a ton.

We have some great investigators, many of which we found this week. I am so excited for the work. I know that it is true and that the Lord will help us to be successful. I hope you are all doing well. I love you and miss you!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: