Monday, March 26, 2012

No Había Nada, Sino El Poder De Dios, Que Pudiera Sacudir La Tierra

Mi Familia,

This week was a good one. We have been really busy!

This week I have learned a lot about what it means to be a representative of Jesus Christ. We had a change in the Branch Presidency here and the new President is a convert of only about 4 or 5 years. He is a really good man and I am really close to him. He is pretty stressed, but his wife always just tells him that he can read the manual or talk to us. I was thinking "I have never been a branch president" but feel grateful that they trust us so much. He has been asking us a lot of questions in the last few weeks and now we know why. I am excited because the members are getting excited to work too. I hope we can help the Branch in the transition.

We didn't have the baptism this week because the investigator didn't pass his interview. We will see if he gets baptized in the future. But despite the trials I am really happy and excited for the work. I don't want the mission to end, and it is going by way too fast. If I could, I wouldn't go home and just be like the 3 Nephites, but I don't think that is going to happen.

We are teaching a sister named Consuelo, and she is great. Someone robbed her and left her on the other side of the city. We visited her 2 days after and she said she was doing really bad. She has a baby boy and doesn't work and relies on the money that her ex husband gives her. It is pretty rough but we got to teach her about the atonement and I don't know if I had felt the spirit so strong in a lesson before. She is doing a lot better now.

Also I forgot to tell you guys but I had a pretty neat experience last week (2 weeks ago?) Anyway, we were teaching a woman named Magdalena and she is pretty catholic but listens to us. We taught her about the Restoration and how she could know for herself if it was true. It was one of the first times on my mission when the person I was teaching didn't want to believe what we were teaching. I told her that I had prayed and felt it was true, and she started making fun of me. She started saying that God doesn't communicate with us and a lot of other stuff. Shortly after that, the earth started to shake. I couldn't believe it and thought it was a coincidence but it was pretty crazy. She got scared, not because of what she had said, but because of the earthquake (we were outside as well). After the earthquake we kept talking and I started asking her why she didn't believe in revelation. She said that all we need to do in this life is do the will of the Father and we could be saved. So I asked her how we know God's will. She said just by doing good things. So I asked her how we knew about the commandments and and in the end she realized that all we know about God has been revealed from God to man. She said she would pray : ) but we haven't seen her since then.

I am so happy to be here. I am working hard, and I know that this is the Lord's work.

I love you and miss you all!!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: