Tuesday, January 11, 2011

First Letter!

Mi familia!

I only have 30 minutes so it is going to be short. I love the MTC. My companion is Elder Peck. He is from Sandy, Utah and is going to my same mission. He comes from a split family. He is a little older because he stayed home to be with his family. I love him to death. He is so kind and we get along very well. I couldn't have asked for a better companion. He is dedicated which makes it so easy.

It was nice to spend time with Lauren and say bye. I flew with those two missionaries. Elder Rice I met before, he is in the Del Mar Stake. Elder Sulzen is from Ramona and was in my mission prep. The first day was hectic. It was so hard to transition that quickly, but every day since then has been so much easier. I moved my stuff into my room and got a ton of books and the water bottle to purify water. I got a dictionary, two books with Missionary words and sentences in Spanish, another Spanish Review book and I think that is it. We were supposed to get a Spanish Preach My Gospel but they ran out so I don't have one yet, but I will soon. I am learning so much Spanish. I am glad that that is the language I am learning. It is going to be so useful after! I can already pray, bear testimony, and say Su Objectivo (Our Purpose) as a missionary in Spanish. I also know some small talk and words that I just throw into my English. It is the best!

I love my district. We are like a family. I feel like I can talk to any of them. Two of the Elders are going to Peru and are going to be transferring to the Peru MTC in 2 and a half weeks which I am really bummed about because they are awesome and they feel like hermanos. Three of us are going to Tuxtla Gutierrez, and 4 hermanas and one elder are going to San Fernando. They are all so nice! Our Zone is very small. It is about 25 total so about 15 before we came to the Zone. They are nice and we have great Zone leaders. Our District leader is the Elder going to San Fernando. He is a great guy and leads us well. We do service two times a week and everyone says we have the best one! We set up chairs for the devotionals and firesides. It is much better than mopping stairways, cleaning bathrooms, etc. We have service today that cuts into our P-day which is awesome! We get to email home twice a week! I will email on thursday as well. That is another thing, please do not send me emails while I am here at the MTC! I don't have much time to write and a Dear Elder response would be best because I am very slow at typing, and we have to read the emails during the time, if that makes sense.

I love my teachers. Hermano Law is new and Hermana Verwer has taught here for a while. They are so great! They both went to Chile on their missions. They are teaching us so much Spanish. Thay rarely talk in only English. I understand most of it but am still learning. I am excited to work with them.

The food at the MTC is great, so far. It is just like the cannon center but looks like it is inside of an old church building. I am not gaining weight so far! But the packages of food have been gladly accepted. Please don't send my any for a while though, or you will have to send my new slacks as well.

Yesterday we went to the TRC or Teaching Resource Center. We practice making contacts and then teach a lesson with volunteers. We had an elderly lady, probably in her 80's. She spoke Spanish so slowly for us and I understood just about all of it, but responding was so hard! I told her I was from San Diego and she said that is where she is from as well! She was so excited. We began to tell her a little about our church and when she found out we were Mormon she starting bashing us. I knew what to say in English! But not in espanol. She didn't want to meet with us again but said she would if Elder Peck brought her San Diego friend. By the end of the conversation we were talking about San Diego in English, and she was totally out of character. We took too long, the contact was supposed to take like 2 minutes and we were in there for like 10. We told her we had to go and then came back to teach a lesson. By the end of the lesson we were talking about San Diego in english again, out of charater once again. She told me to visit her in La Jolla when I get back from my mission, and also added that we need to convert Elder Peck (because he was from Utah.) I think it went well, other then the fact that I was not able to talk about our church at all.
I have seen a lot of Elders I know and I will have to tell you about it on Thursday!

I am so glad to be here. I know it is where the Lord wants me. I am learning and I know that is through divine assistance. Thank you to everyone who has written me and for the packages! I love you all. I am out of time!

Sus extrano!

Con amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: