Thursday, January 27, 2011

Os Haré Pescadores de Hombres

Mi Familia,

I have been here a long time! I have seen it snow, seen the snow melt, and watched it snow again. I have seen missionaries and a new MTC Presidency come and go. Crazy! But it is going by so fast. I love it here and am learning and growing so much.

Thanks for the Dear Elder, Mom. It is great to here about subbing and what is going on! Although there was really sad news I am glad that I am updated.

On Tuesday night we had a devotional. Elder Evans of the 70 spoke. It was great, he talked about President Monson. The Prophet is an amazing man. I have been studying about prophets and I have learned a lot. Sister Evans also spoke. She talked about how great of an example we are to our siblings. It made me think of Tanner and how much I miss him. I sent a letter to you, bro, for your talk! I hope it is helpful. President Monson also talked about missionary work in the Ensign this month, or so I've heard. I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Elder Webb left yesterday morning for Peru. It was sad to see him go. Elder Shaw's visa isn't ready so he is sticking around till it is ready. I am happy to spend more time with him, but know he is anxious to leave. We got our new district yesterday. 10 elders! We barely fit in the residence. 8 are going to Mexico (Leon y Monterrey) and 2 to Bolivia. They seem good and we showed them around a little yesterday and will give them the full tour tonight. They seem good and excited to serve. I can tell they really look up to us. I am going to do my best to be a good example!

I am learning so much here. I feel like right now I could put up a pretty good fight if someone wanted to Bible bash. Not that I am ever going to do that, but it's nice to know I can, I suppose. It is so awesome to see how much The Book of Mormon and Bible compliment each other. Isaiah 29:10-11 and Joseph Smith History 1:64-65. That is awesome.

For the TRC this week Elder Peck and I got Sister Carrasco again, and had to teach about the Plan of Salvation. She is so funny. She got out of character more than last time. She is the only one that does! I didn't know if I should bear testimony or if she was just talking about the scriptures as a member of the church. She talked about San Diego, too of course. It makes me excited to really teach.

My friend Marshall Oelkers from BYU got to the MTC this last Wednesday, the 19th. I had been looking for him and didn't see him until this Tuesday, and also yesterday. It was so fun to see a familiar face. He is doing great! He is going to Toronto and will leave on my 5th week. He is the only other person from my BYU ward out right now. I can't wait till Trevor gets here! Speaking of which, two more of my friends from BYU (and BYU ward) got their mission calls. My friend Tanner Skousen is going to Guatemala! The Retalhuleu mission. It is the one just south of me. My EQP also got his call to Oaxaca, which is just west of me! I am going to be surrounded by friends down there. I am so excited so serve with such great guys.

I am doing really well with Spanish and learn more everyday. I am trying to speak it as much as possible, because that is what helps most. I can teach a simple lesson in Spanish, and I am improving so much still. One of the first things I learned was the difference between pecado and pescado. It is essential. Pecado means sin and pescado means fish. I don't want to to tell anyone to be a sinner of men... or to fish no more. That would be bad.

My testimony has grown so much since I have been here. I know without a doubt that this is the true church. I cannot deny it. I love being here and know that this is where I am supposed to be. I love serving the Lord and doing His great work. I wish I could tell everyone in the world what I know.

I love you and miss you. Thanks so much for your prayers and love. And letters. Hope to hear from you soon!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: