Thursday, January 20, 2011

Start of Week 3

Mi Familia,

Hola! Things are going great here at the MTC. Time is starting to go by so fast. I can't believe it. I am learning a lot and doing my best. I love this work more than I can tell you! There's no place I would rather be. At first there were a lot of hard days where I would get discouraged, just about how much I have to learn. I haven't had one for a long time now though! I feel so blessed to be here and the Lord is helping me learn so much.

Mom, I got your last two Dear Elders yesterday, which I love! I prefer them because they come so quickly here. I am not sure how it is going to work in the field, but if they are easier keep sending them! I love hearing back so quickly. I still get to email twice a week, and I think that will continue the whole time at the MTC. And everything is good with the shots, they just wanted to clarify that I had gotten both of the MMR's. I only need typhoid which I might get today. We will see!

Sounds like everyone is doing well at home. Thanks for giving me updates. I love to hear what everyone is doing! I am so glad you are still reading Preach My Gospel. It is so important and everything you need to know about missionary work is in that book. Continue reading it, it will bless your life. In fact, at this point if I was going to give one piece of advice for someone preparing to go on a mission, I would definitely recommend knowing Preach My Gospel the best you can. I can't stress it's importance.

In a week and a half our district will have been here the longest in the zone. Crazy! We will be in the middle of our 4th week. (January 31st.) On Tuesday night Brother Willes, the First Counselor in our Branch Presidency called me and Elder Peck in to talk with him. He asked us if we could be Zone Leaders. I was totally caught off guard. I feel so new here and not ready for that! But I think it will be great because I will learn a lot. It is going to be announced on Sunday and we will shadow the current Zone Leaders until they depart. I am excited and nervous.

I haven't told you too much about my district, so here it goes:

Elder Peck, my companion is from Sandy, Utah. He is a great guy and we are getting along great.

Elder Gabbitus is from Kaysville, Utah and is also going to my mission. He is really smart and is good at singing.

Elder Amijo is his companion. He is also from somewhere in Utah and is going to San Fernando with all of the Hermanas in our district. He is the district leader and is a great example. He is companions with Elder Gabbitas and they share a room with Elder Peck and I.

Elder Shaw is from Baker City, Oregon. He is so funny but so hard working. He is always happy and singing. He is going to Trujillo, Peru with his companion Elder Webb. Elder Webb is from Twin Falls, Idaho and is super cool. He makes me laugh a lot. They are leaving to the Lima MTC in a week. I am really sad that they are going!

The Hermanas are all nice and are all going to San Fernando, CA.

Also on Tuesday we had our weekly devotional. It was awesome. Elder Gong of the Seventy spoke. I think he spoke in conference not too long ago. He told the story about his wife sending fresh bread to their son and his roommates while he was in the MTC. They all wrote thank you notes to Sister Gong and one of them said to remember him if things don't work out with Elder Gong. Haha so yeah, that's the one. He gave an amazing talk. I don't know if those are accessible or not but I would recommend reading it! He talked about so many important things, and a lot of interesting information about the Book of Mormon. My testimony gets strengthened every day here. It is amazing. I feel really bad that I didn't share the gospel more growing up. When I get back from my mission I want to share it with everyone I know. I know without a doubt it is true!

Thanks for all the letters, I get more than one every day. On Tuesday I wrote 19 letters. Loco. Thanks for your love, support and prayers. I miss you all!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: