Thursday, January 13, 2011

Start of Week 2

Mi Familia,

Hello! I am having the most amazing time here. Since Tuesday, we had a Devotional, and Elder Holland spoke. It was so good, and I don't think I have ever felt the spirit so strongly. He talked about preparing to teach those in our missions. It was the first time the mission has seemed real to me. I realized that I am preparing to invite the people of Mexico to come unto Christ. It makes me want to study harder, which I am not sure is possible. I am so dedicated to this work. I can't wait until it pays off.

The MTC is a very special place. I always feel the spirit! I know we are protected here as missionaries, and there is such a brotherhood with all the Elders. I am often on the verge of tears because I feel so good here. What else gets 2000 19 year-old boys up at 6:30? I can't think of anywhere. Especially because it is so cold here! I am rarely outside but I know it's very cold haha. But I don't need a coat Mom.

Oh and by the way we can't email pictures home. It is a real bummer but I think I might print some out and send them home when I have time. That's another thing, I am always busy! Which is great, because it is busy reading the scriptures and studying Spanish, which is coming along very well.

Tuesday was P-day and was so hectic. There was not very much time to write letters so I apologize to those that I wrote, they are going to be short. And just after I finished I got a letter from Lauren and my whole Home Evening family at BYU! 11 letters. It is the district record. It totally made my week and made me a little "BYU sick." In a good way. I love them and miss them so much! My district was so amazed when they heard. They said things like, "They must have really liked you!" ...Yeah they do! And I love them more than they know. It made my week.

We also got to go to the Temple which was so nice. It was great not to have to worry about what time it is and just relax and be uplifted. I love the Temple and testify that it is the house of the Lord.

There has been a lot of problems with the Visas for Mexico. Apparently around Christmas time they stopped processing them. But three Elders from my zone got to leave today to Northern Mexico. They were only here a week and a half extra. I am praying they will get mine processed in time.

On Monday I saw Johnny Slagle! He works for the Church doing an iPhone app and his office is exactly two floors below the class we are in all day. It was good to see him and talk to him. Sometimes I forget that people exist outside of the MTC. It is weird, but if you've been here you know what I mean.

Another thing about the MTC is the concept of time. It is weird. They say the weeks feel like days and the days feel like weeks. It is so true. If you think back to the morning when you're going to bed it seems so long ago. But then you realize you have been here over a week, and you think, how am I going to learn Spanish in 9 weeks? It is loco.

A new district came in yesterday. They seem good and it is great to get our zone a little bigger. It is really funny, the guys that have been here longer than me seem so much older, but in reality they aren't, they've just been here longer. It is an odd concept, but I am going to take advantage and enjoy not being the youngest ones here. Or newest rather.

Things are going great with Elder Peck and I. He is not related to the Peck's you know Mom, or at least he hasn't heard the names. He did a lot of research on our mission before he got here and he has told me some crazy things about Tuxtla Gutierrez. First of all, I have heard that we only get mail at transfers. Joy. It will be ok though! There are not addresses in most of Chiapas so that's why. Also, instead of bikes, we get machetes or however it's spelled. That way we can cut through the rainforest to get places. Que gran! It is going to be really hot there which will be nice when I get there for about a half hour. So I am excited for that. But in all seriousness I am so glad I am going there and learning Spanish. It is so useful and I cannot wait until I am fluent.

I love it here and all is well. I have to go but I hope to hear from you soon. Adios!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Riley is a missionary! It makes my heart sing. Thank you for posting his letters, I am so glad to be in the loop. Love you, Stevensons!