Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Donde Me Mandes Iré, Señor

Mi Familia,

I am leaving today! I am so excited and a little nervous. I can't believe I am finally going to the field.

Yesterday I got money off my debit card and it worked - no problems. I am sending home the package today. Crazy! I don't know if I can call home today but I might be able to. I am going to buy a calling card if they have them at the bookstore, which I think they do. I will call home when I go to Mexico if I can. We are allowed to it just depends on when we have our layover. It will be fun!

On Tuesday when I was walking to the temple I saw four girls from my BYU ward. They parked and we talked a little bit. It was so fun, and they just happened to be leaving from doing baptisms. We contacted them in Spanish and it was so fun to talk to them and bear testimony. Last week in the session I got to sit next to my friend Lincoln who was on my BYU floor. So fun! He got his call to Brazil. I love the temple and my testimony of the temple has grown so much since I have been here. I have seen the blessings already and know it is the house of the Lord.

I also just said bye to Trevor. It was a little sad but so fun to know we will be in Mexico together soon.

I started packing yesterday! It is unreal. The time went by here so fast I can't believe it. I have learned so much and feel prepared for the field. It is going to be hard but I am so excited to learn from my struggles. I know that when I put my trust in the Lord things will work. One thing I have learned here is that the more you trust in the Lord and the less you think about yourself, the easier things are - so much easier.

I want to bear my testimony about Joseph Smith. The validity of our church all comes down to the Restoration of the gospel through Joseph Smith. I think it was President Hinkley that said either this church is true, or a 14 year-old boy created the biggest lie in the history of the world. I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I know it without a doubt. We learn in Matthew that by their fruits we shall know them. The fruit is the Book of Mormon. There is no way that book is not true. I think it is quite evident. Some people say "why would God appear to a 14 year-old farm boy?" Isn't it obvious? He had a third grade education. He could not have written the book. Only through the Power of God could it have been translated. I testify that if someone were to read it with real intent they would know that it is true. More physical evidence is appearing all over the world. But we can only really know simply by asking God. Like Moroni said, we can know the truth of all things through the power of the Holy Ghost. I want you to know I have prayed about the Book of Mormon numerous times and every time the Spirit of God confirms its truthfulness to me. I know it is true. I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. Elder Holland's grandfather said no evil man could write that book, and no good man would dare. I know that Joseph Smith translated it, and that ancient American prophets wrote it. I know that our church is true, because the Book of Mormon is true. I can't wait to share that with everyone I ever meet.

I love you all and miss you. Thanks so much for your letters and prayers. I have been so blessed with such a great family and friends. I appreciate you all so much. I pray for you every day. Hope to talk to you soon, and Happy Birthday Tanner!!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson

No comments: