Monday, March 14, 2011

El Trigo Para El Hombre, El Maíz Para El Buey

Mi Familia,

I just got to my area! Como I just got off the Taxi, put my suitcases in my new apartment and walked here. The area is called La Salle and the Zone is Tuxtla Mactumatza, another part of Tuxtla Gutiérrez. My companion is Elder Ballard from Alpine, Utah. He is really nice, and said he knows Taylor. ¡Que bueno! His Spanish is really good! I found out this morning where I would be going. We met President and Sister Velasco. It was great. They have a really nice house, nicer than most houses in the U.S. El Presidente knows a lot of English and is pretty good at it! We had breakfast there and it was delicious. They were so nice and funny. I am not excited for them to leave, but I am sure my next President will be good as well.

The last couple days we have been staying at the Mission Offices with other missionaries here. They are all super nice! It is really close to the Temple. Yesterday we went to church, the stake center right next to the Temple. First we had a meeting with the Stake Presidency and all of the new converts from the stake and missionaries. It went really well! I didn't understand too much but I did understand more than I thought I would. Then we had a Stake Conference Broadcast. That was awesome. Elder Nelson and President Monson spoke. It was good and I understood some. Both were done by a translator so they spoke fast. The first two talks were from an Elder in the 70 and then someone from the Relief Society Presidency. I don't remember their names, but they spoke in Spanish and slowly so I understood a lot of that. It was awesome. Then we went to my first lunch appointment with Hermana Edith. Lunch was some kind of meat. It was alright! Then she brought out salsa after we started, and it was so good. Also it was very spicy.

After lunch, Elder Peck, Elder Pape (one of the Elders there), and I went to a woman's restaurant in the ward. She wanted us to bless it (a little food stand) and give her a blessing as well. I thought Elder Pape was going to do it all but that did not happen! I blessed her restaurant. It was scary but I think it went well. She was a very nice Hermana. Then we met referrals and talked to other people. It was sweet. I didn't understand hardly anything. Contacting and talking to people is so fun though. Well it looks fun. You have to be persistent and clever too. Elder Pape always would ask where a person lived then just start talking to them. There was one group of 6 or 7 richer looking elderly women. When Elder Pape talked they were a little rude and sounded annoyed. Then we started talking to them about the Temple. They seemed kind of interested and by the end they were very nice. I showed them my picture with the Family and Temple and they all wanted to see it. The rudest ended up introducing her daughter to us. One of the women told me I was guapo and I think when I shook her hand to leave she said ¨"te amo." I couldn't help noticing that she wasn't wearing a wedding ring. She must have been in her 50's. It was funny - haha!

It is really hot here. The Spanish is rough but I am learning a lot. The food es tan rica, me encanta. I have only had one bad thing, which was some kind of corn drink. It was comparable to dirt - haha. A couple things, The APs said not to send food in packages and most of the time it is just easier to give money. But it doesn't sound like there are problems with it getting here. I have more email time now. I have an hour to email you and the president.

I am so happy and even though it is different here and can be hard, I love it. I love the people! I am excited to learn more and am going to work my hardest. I love you and miss you. Thanks for your prayers! I know this church is true and I am so excited to share it with others. Until next week!

Con Amor,

Elder Riley Stevenson


 

No comments: